„French prosecutors revealed on Monday that the loot stolen in a dramatic jewellery heist from a Cannes hotel at the weekend was in fact worth over €100 million ($136 million) and not €40 million as first thought. It means the robbery was one of the world’s biggest ever.“
Source: The Local
Just as it is described in the article mentioned above, we probably have to ask the question, how it looks like the security at luxury hotels.
- Become security concepts adhered or they are looking for cheaper alternatives because of the costs?
- Are aesthetic aspects at hotel projects more important than the security technology?
- Which professional quality have the security officer of these hotels?
- Does hotels offer regular trainings (awareness training, etc.) for the hotel staff?
- Will be execute regularly security exercises in the field of fire safety and evacuation ?
In fact, luxury hotels can not afford to act careless in the field of security. Hotels for a particular clientele (state guests, VIPs, etc.) have to concern very intensively with security requirements as well as security concepts.
After a few years hotels no longer meet modern security requirements and require appropriate reviews. Topics such as fire prevention, emergency and evacuation procedures, security aspects (theft, extortion of employees, terrorism, etc.) need to be redefined and incorporated in a security concept.
After a few years hotels no longer meet modern security requirements and require appropriate reviews. Topics such as fire prevention, emergency and evacuation procedures, security aspects (theft, extortion of employees, terrorism, etc.) need to be redefined and incorporated in a security concept. These changes also require interventions in the building substance which the hoteliers are not always willing to pay. The hotel security can be shared into two main categories: Security and Safety. Both categories have to address with the issue of security, but it will be emanate from different preconditions:
- Security is concerned with the protection of buildings, objects and people from violence attacks (terrorist attacks, etc.), which were planned by human hands.
- Security is seen in the context of personal protection
- Security includes burglary resistance, the bullet resistance, blast resistance as well as personnel protection
- Safety is concerned with the protection of buildings, objects and people from environmental influences (fire, water, earthquake, etc.).
- Safety is always seen in the context of building protection
An important component of security in the hotel is also a good trained staff. To achieve this status, staff training are essential. Well-trained staff recognize dangerous situations and can finished recognize hazards through proper behavior. In such trainings the following measures will be trained:
In the field of Security:
- Behavior of individuals which are in preparing for criminal acts.
- Use of appropriate defense mechanisms to prevent attacks by criminal acts.
- Practical training for defense against criminal acts
The video below shows possible dangers which can be prevalent in hotels and prevented by proper behavior of the staff (German language).
Source: Youtube: Movie from GQH (ca. 6 min)
In the field of safety:
- Practical training in evacuation procedures
- Correct behavior in case of fire and fire
- Prevention of fire risks
- Control of escape routes
The below video gives you tips how to behave in case of fire and evacuations (German language).
Source: Youtube: Movie from GQH (ca. 7 min)
Do you have questions about hotel security? Send me an Email: